Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Keeping Tabs on Baptism

In the church where I am lucky enough to attend and be a member, we make a big deal of the claims, "Remembering Your Baptism," or "Renewing Your Baptismal Vows." What do these claims mean? What does it look like to remember one's baptism?

I consider myself intimately responsible for four baptisms. My own baptism and the baptisms of my three children. In some direct and indirect ways I need to keep up with these four moments in time in some unique ways.

November is winding to a close which means I spend more and more time with my 2009 calendar. I'm back and forth between the 2008 and 2009 calendars and starting to think more about mapping about next year's set of dates and activities. I looked at a calendar that I have on my PC, but one I don't look at very often anymore. One nice thing about it is that it brings up some anniversary reminders which is what got me thinking about baptisms and four dates that will help narrate my prayer life in 2009.

On January 8, 2006, Kathryn Nevins Linney was baptized. Baptism of our Lord celebrated at Church of the Holy Family, Chapel Hill, NC. She keeps asking me, "Daddy, why do we have to die. Oh yeah, because we were born."

On January 13, 2008, William Nevins Linney was baptized. Baptism of our Lord celebrated at Church of the Holy Family, Chapel Hill, NC. Yeah, he will be sealed and marked for one whole year. His is still nice and fresh. I don't think the finish has worn off yet, because I think mine needs a new coat.

On March 13, 1988, George Edward Linney, III was baptized (that's me). Palm Sunday celebrated at First Presbyterian Church, Maitland, FL. Wow, almost 21 years ago. If I hadn't given up the sauce because of allergies I could start drinking again.

On April 10, 2004, George Edward Linney, IV was baptized. The Great Easter Vigil at Church of the Holy Family, Chapel Hill, NC. Oh, what a night. Kristen Nevins Linney and I were also received into the fellowship at Holy Family on that Resurrection night nearly a half decade ago. See also: http://monkawe.blogspot.com/2008/09/baptismal-inspiration-from-meredith.html

I'm going to mark these dates and pray with these special moments in 2009. Which saints are being celebrated around the world on Jan 8, Jan 13, Mar 13 and Apr 10? I promise to find out and lift up these days and these special memories. When were you baptized, confirmed, married? What dates, besides birthdays, do you need to take special care of in 2009?

No comments: