Sunday, January 22, 2012

Morning Yearning

The 30th Psalm expresses the long night: weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
It is difficult when the mind stirs in the dark hours and we rise rather than rest.  I sleep much better than I once did, but last night lacks the supporting evidence.  Somewhere later in the day, I will run out of energy, yet I can almost guarantee a restful slumber when I put my head down again.  So that's something.

There is just so much to do.  So much to think about.  So much to be happy about and celebrate.  So much to prepare for.  It is very quiet in the middle of the night for a father with young children.  Night is protected time and the brain knows this and sometimes takes advantage of waking quiet rather than sleeping.

Ben Harper yearns for morning in this excellent song that has always moved me.



An icon I pray with depicts the prophet Isaiah:
With a word, the Lord stirs me in the morning, he stirs my ear to hear like a disciple.

Let this be the prayer to begin the day.

No comments: