Friday, October 12, 2012

Inspired by Ruby Bost

On p. 38 of "Resurrecting Ruby" you can find "Writing Prompts are Every Where," and Ruby writes of a box of baking soda and titles the poem, "Untitled." Buy the book and read the rest. She invites readers: ON YOUR MARK, GET SET, WRITE! Here is my response from last week staring my mug in the face and writing at her prompt:

Title: Unlimited

Caked with stains of old
but all the same
dried, melti
ng, corroding, refreshing
the mug stands tall
announcing 2012
"BAKED FRESH"

You bring me back and back and back again
to George, and officers, Alex and Jeff
to all the other starters
of mornings
in DRM

Let them all be blessed

This coffee pulses and stirs within me a blessing,
a prayer for the day.
Rich, bitter, sweet, dark, Columbian--a life together
this joe and I
Blessed and Faithful

No comments: