Saturday, May 15, 2010

Reflections on: Ides of May on the Crystal Coast

Reflections on: Ides of May on the Crystal Coast

Hopefully, I can drag myself out of bed and ride with the Durham Cares team in the morning before preaching at Lystra Baptist Church. I have felt very supported and nurtured during this week of training. When a friend or two sent me a note that they had donated to Durham charities through Durham Cares I rode a lot harder. I felt responsible to give all I could rather than "dog it" while on vacation. Thanks friends.

This RAAM team is working hard to get ready for this event. We are meeting early on Sunday mornings and sacrificing all kinds of time and energy that is usually directed at family, work, etc. We are all a little nervous and scared, but putting forth our best effort in training. I can feel it translating to the rest of my life. I may be a little naive about this next one, a little hokey and spiritual sounding, but I think I feel this work ethic and dedication emanating across Durham. Maybe it is just endorphins or springtime, but this town is in conversion mode. I think we are converting to letting go of cars some of the time, losing preconceived notions of friends and enemies, rethinking who our neighbor might be, or might not be. I felt it at the National Day of Prayer in Bay 7 of the American Tobacco District. I felt it at Philosopher's Way last Saturday (we will grandfather our Chapel Hill/Carrboro neighbor's in for the moment. Let's be honest. They are jealous of Durham, despite what you might hear :)

Good things are happening all around if we will only have the eyes to see and the ears to hear.

No comments: